Advanced Learner Loans

Advanced learner loans are available for individuals aged 19 or above to undertake approved qualifications at levels 3 to level 6 at Brian Scaddan.

What is an Advanced Learner Loan and how does it work?

Advanced learner loans give individuals access to financial support for tuition costs similar to that available in higher education and are administered by Student Finance England. Advanced learner loans are paid directly to the college or training organisation on behalf of an individual.

You can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to help with the costs of a course at a college or training provider in England.

Loan eligibility does not depend on your income and there are no credit checks. Check if you’re eligible before you apply for an Advanced Learner Loan.

Different funding is available if you want to study in Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales.

When you repay your loan

You’ll have to start repaying your loan when your income is over a certain amount (the ‘threshold’ amount).

You’ll be charged interest from the day you get the first payment.

Access to Higher Education (HE) course

Student Finance England will ‘write off’ any outstanding Advanced Learner Loan balances you owe for an Access to HE course once you complete a higher education course. This means you do not have to repay it.

The higher education course must be eligible for student finance.

Loan Bursary Fund

You may also be eligible for money from the Advanced Learner Loan Bursary Fund if you need help with some costs while studying, for example childcare, travel or trips related to your course.

Use the Money Advice Service to work out the cost of borrowing.

Further Information

Although we have made every effort to ensure that our website has all the information that you need to make your decision, you might feel you want to speak to one of our qualified Training Consultants. Please call or email us to discuss and enquire about any aspect of the Advanced Learner Loan.

Need some help or advice?

Call us on 01245 967 030
or email us at [email protected].


Whether you qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan depends on your:

  • You must be 19 or older on the first day of your course.


Your course must be:

  • at an approved college or training provider in England


Your nationality or residency status:

In most cases, all of the following must apply. You must:

  • be living in the UK on the first day of your course
  • be a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (this means there are no restrictions on how long you can stay)
  • have been living in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course
  • If you have settled status because you’re a victim of domestic violence, you do not need to have lived in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for 3 years.
  • You may also qualify if you’re:
  • a UK national, or someone with settled status, but you live in the European Economic Area (EEA)
  • an EU national or a family member of one
  • not a UK national but you’ve lived in the UK for at least 20 years (or at least half of your life)
  • a refugee or a relative of one
  • a migrant worker
  • the child of a Swiss national
  • the child of a Turkish worker
  • under humanitarian protection or a relative of someone who has been granted it
  • staying in the UK as a stateless person (or their family member) and your course started on or after 1 August 2018
  • a serving member of the UK armed forces (or their spouse, civil partner or a dependent parent or child living with them) doing a distance learning course from outside the UK that started on or after 1 August 2017
  • someone granted ‘Calais leave’ to remain or a child of someone granted ‘Calais leave’ to remain – if your course starts on or after 1 August 2020 and you’ve lived in the UK for at least 3 years before the first day of the first academic year of your course
What you'll get
What you’ll get

How much you get depends on:

  • the type of course
  • your course fees
  • the maximum loan available for your course
  • The minimum loan you can get is £300 and is paid directly to your college or training provider.
  • You do not have to borrow the full cost of your course – you can pay for some of it yourself.

Number of loans you can get
  • You can apply for up to 4 loans and you can get more than one at the same time.
  • You can apply for another loan to take the same level of a course, for example the same level qualification in History if you’ve already had a loan for the same level in Maths.
  • You can only apply once for an Access to Higher Education course.

A Levels
  • You can apply for a loan to fund each course you take towards your A Levels – up to a maximum of 4 A Levels.
  • This means you can have up to 8 loans if you’re taking each A Level as 2 separate courses.
  • The courses must be in the same subject to qualify for a full A Level.
  • You can get 3 more loans for non A Level courses either before or after your course of A Levels.
How to apply
How to apply
  • Check with us that the course qualifies 
  • Ask us for a ‘Learning and funding information’ letter – you need this to complete the application. It contains the details about your course.
  • We’ll help you apply for the loan
  • You’ll get a letter confirming your loan – usually within 2 weeks if you apply online (postal applications take longer)

How long does it take to get an advanced loan approved?
  • Once you input all of the above details, for UK passport holders the loan approval process should take 4-5 days and all other applications should be processed within 2-4 weeks. Your eligibility for a loan does not depend upon your income and it is not subject to a credit check.

How do you pay back an advanced learner loan?
  • Repayments are set at 9% of your income above the minimum of £26,575 a year, £2,214 a month or £511 a week. You’ll be charged interest at the Retail Price Index (RPI) + 3% while you complete your course and until the following April after leaving your course. After that interest is linked to your earnings.

What you need to know
  • You cannot apply until you get a ‘learning and funding information letter’ from your college or training provider.
  • You can apply for a loan without a National Insurance number but you must have one before the loan can be paid.

Proof of identity
  • If you’re a UK national, include your UK passport details in your application as proof of identity. If you forget, use the ‘UK passport details form’.
  • If you do not have a UK passport (or it has expired), send your original birth or adoption certificate to Student Finance England.
  • Include your name and address. You should also include your customer reference number if you have one. This is an 11-digit number. You can find it on letters or emails you’ve had from Student Finance England.
  • If you’re from an EU country, send your EU passport or identity card the first time you apply.
  • Download ‘UK passport details form’ (PDF, 27KB)

Supporting information

Change an application


Bursary Funds
Bursary fund
  • You may apply to get money from the Loan Bursary Fund after you’ve received a letter approving your Advanced Learner Loan.

The money can help pay for things like:

  • accommodation and travel
  • course materials and equipment
  • childcare
  • classroom assistance for a disability or learning difficulty – once you’re assessed by your college or training provider

How to apply
  • Apply to your college or training provider – each one has its own application process. How much you get depends on the provider’s scheme and your circumstances.
  • Speak to student services if you need support with your application.

How the money is paid
  • Your college or training provider decides how the money is paid. You’ll normally be paid directly. You might be able to arrange for the money to be paid to someone else instead, for example your landlord or childcare provider.
  • In some situations, fund money must be paid back. This is generally if you’re a student experiencing a temporary financial difficulty and need a loan, for example for help with your mortgage or rent.

  • You can apply even if you get other types of funding, for example:
  • Professional and Career Development Loans
  • Disability Living Allowance

You cannot apply if you’re:

Appeal a decision
  • Contact your college or training provider to appeal a decision from the Loan Bursary Fund.


Our newsletter

Sign up to our mailing list and keep up to date with our latest news and offers.